Saturday, September 15, 2007

Vermillion Folk Singer Adds "Totally Relevant" Song to Repertoire

Renee Roxanne Abeln has recently increased her current song list, moving into double digits. The key song that's taken her to the next level? "The Unicorn" by the Irish Rovers.

"Sure, people laugh when I tell them I've expanded my remit to include songs about mythical creatures but it's, like, totally relevant to this day and age. Just listen to this: . . .

'And Noah looked out through the driving rain
Them unicorns were hiding, playing silly games
Kicking and splashing while the rain was falling
Oh, them silly unicorns . . .'

I mean, c'mon. We've ALL been there. Why can't we just admit it? Young people are crying out for a song with a message like this that they can identify with. Also, I've pretty much nailed 'Puff the Magic Dragon' . . . It's been a prolific month for me."

Asked if she has any songs planned for the future, Abeln responded. "You know, I like to keep edgy. Current. So I'm going to be focusing on pieces that have been neglected by history, like "Running Bear", "Call of the Wild Goose" or "North to Alaska" . . . you know. Stuff that the kids nowadays really 'dig'. Because it's 'happening' and 'groovy'. Man. And yes, I am considering a re-working of 'Purple People Eater'. "

Her accompanyist, Jefe Engeman, could not be reached for comment.

For the full lyrics of "The Unicorn, click here.

6 comments:

bukwessul said...

So glad you are working on a new body of work. This must have been how Burl Ives felt. Awsome.

Boomer said...

How exciting that Ms. Abeln is expanding her repertoire. She's a star in the making.

She can costume herself in a sheet for a biblical look while performing the new song. How that works with "Puff..." I'm not sure.

And, Buk, nice to hear from you. I thought you was in a jar!

Lu said...

omg, can we totally do "Running Bear"? Whenever I bring that song up, I tell people, "So, I really like this racist song ..."

bukwessul said...

Jar livin'. I can see that. Me thinks its' more like a can o woop ass.

mully said...

i have some super-hot Kingston Trio records in the shop right now, should i send them to you for inspiration?

suspiciously pleased said...

thank you all for your comments - especially you Buk - finally someone who understands my affiliation with the Ives-ster.

you know, my work is always about keeping my fans happy. i wish i could say the same for my . . ehrm . . . musical parter, Jefe, but of course, he's more about being "arty". and, of course, the chicks.

and lu, we DEFINATELY need to look into "Running Bear" - i think we have the ability asnd sheer raw talent to make it suitable for our multi-culty world.

and, of course, i value input from my fans, so the Kingston Trio records would be much appreciated.