Wednesday, March 31, 2010

What DOES One Do With Good Ol' Boys Like Me?



It has been brought to my attention that we as a people need to perform more Don Williams songs. I am in a little over my head with this one, but it is my favorite. This is a shout out to our old college friend, Ellen...'member...'member...Ellen?...She was awesome! She introduced me to this song so many years ago. (She did a great version of this song, I can't believe i never archived a copy of her singing it.) Bad archivist...naughty, naughty archivist!

I had to edit out some false starts, and when i rendered the final edit, my editing software formatted it in this odd version. I tried to fix it, but this is it I guess.

After you endure my rather hamfisted and oddly jaunty rendition of this song, check out this guy's version at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix_E_DENLOY

he is just great!

8 comments:

Sassmaster said...

OMG, this makes me miss you even more. I can really hear how good your guitar sounds in this one, and I love that song! I don't know why you insist that you're a bad singer. You sound like Al. And for the record, I do not remember Ellen.

shining example of human potential said...

thanks for the compliment, since i started 'talk singing' my way thru songs, i feel a bit more confident. it's just that more and more i would love to have a real singing voice.

i would not be surprised if you had already moved to the twin cities by the time Ellen was in school.

suspiciously pleased said...

This is SOOOOOO good . . . i just LOVE this song. It's so unexpectedly dark and sweet and contradictory--who knew Don Williams was so complex?? That he admired Tom Wolf and Tennessee Williams???

I DO remember Ellen!! I wonder what the heck she's up to now? And I'll try not to be TOO disappointed in you for not keeping a copy of her redition. Of course, I AM disappointed in you . . . but this video goes some way toward mitigating that.

Boomer said...

I suppose that lapse in archiving would disturb the librarian types here...Ellen's doing fine, though. She's got a good gig on Idol right now.

Love this song. wish it were on that tape that kept circling in my dad's buick.

mully said...

i remember when you learned this one..

mully said...

also i remember the light on the fields when we drove to Mitchell to see Don at the Corn Palace...that was awesome.
Ellen, last I knew was living in Stone Mt. Georgia, and working in a library.

mully said...

you are right that guys version is really good. I also remember you learning amarillo by morning by watching an old vhs tape of george over and over....

shining example of human potential said...

oh, gawd, boomer! half the month is gone, and i finally got your april fools reference about ellen...oh well, it is still april so i don't feel like a total fool!