Thursday, February 14, 2013

El Jefe plays The Boss

...OR... Drinking and Feeling Sorry for Yourself Might Not be the Best Way to Spend Valentines Day, But Hey, It's A Tradition

So this is The River by Bruce Springsteen.  Somehow, in my life, I had never heard this song until very recently.  Holy crap what a good song.  Now I completely understand why The Boss is beloved.
You know, growing up my Boss exposure was just Born in the USA, Born to Run, Glory Days and a few more and it is was like "yeah, it's alright..not sure why he's THE BOSS..."  But after hearing The River I am a convert.  He is THE BOSS indeed.

This is one of those songs where there is no chance on God's Green Earth that I can do it justice, but I've just got to play it...I love it so much...must play and share...

Technical note:  if you watch the video you might notice that I appear to occasionally say a few things that are probably inaudible to you.  This is because I had to turn the audio input down super low before the keyboard would cease causing massive mic crackle.  It's OK.  What I was saying was not important--just stuff like "here's a song by The Boss'' or "happy valentine's day" or "hey kitty stop vomiting I'm trying to play a song" or "why is my music room such a barren wasteland, I really should put some pictures up" or "we can never be completely certain of our knowledge of the universe because everything we know is through the filter of being human.  Science is our most successful knowledge pursuing technique but we shouldn't delude ourselves into thinking there will be some infinite progression of scientific discovery and technological innovation that will one day remove the filter of human experience and allow us to know with certainty some ultimate reality..."
Stuff like that.

Oh, and one more.   I'm pretty sure I said "here's another song I've learned recently".  Yes, that's right HIA, there is a short bonus song at the end.  Lucky you.





Here's a link of The Boss doing it for realziez.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utVR3EgQkHs

3 comments:

shining example of human potential said...

wow, you damned Apple-loving multi instumentalist! why haven't you broke out the ol' Garageband and start multi tracking the shit out of your songs?!? i forgot about when you were first starting to use the keyboard. you were so hesitant, just playing songs you had practiced before hand and then, as the night progressed, you would have us tell you the chords before we started and you would work them out on the keyboard and just jump in and start playing. 'member...'member...that was AWSOME!

shining example of human potential said...

"we can never be completely certain of our knowledge of the universe because everything we know is through the filter of being human. Science is our most successful knowledge pursuing technique but we shouldn't delude ourselves into thinking there will be some infinite progression of scientific discovery and technological innovation that will one day remove the filter of human experience and allow us to know with certainty some ultimate reality..."


(WOW! what is it about valentine's day that really brings out the romantic in you.)

Jefe said...

SEOHP!!!
As to your first comment, well...you know the saying--'spending all your time tuning your instrument and no time actually playing'; well in my case I fear there has been a lot of time spent 'worrying that the instrument is not in tune, a tiny amount of time tuning, and no time actually playing'. So that sucks. But to paraphrase Mel "I hate Jews" Gibson from Braveheart: this is something I am trying to remedy.

As to your second comment:
"(WOW! what is it about valentine's day that really brings out the romantic in you.)"

I know, didn't you just get all swooney when you read that?