Sunday, June 1, 2008

Alabama Worker Practices Interaction With Local Bookstore Clerk

I had an interesting conversation with a clerk at the only bookstore in Etowah County. (The clerk informed me the only used bookstore closed down last year. ) I was looking for Choke by Chuck Palahnuik because it is the June book for an online bookclub I wanted to join. He said, "Really? There's an on-line booklcub reading a story about a sex addict who cons people for a living?" He was even more suprised when I told him it came from a list of 1001 books you must read before you die. He said he was glad he wasn't Palahnuik, with all the whack stuff in his head. When I mentioned I was here from Michigan he said "We don't see many people here from the Big Mitten." I think I'll have to use that from now on.

Being a little rusty on this conversaion with actual humans thing, I neglected to find out all kinds of things. Maybe I'll go back next Saturday and see if I can talk to someone again.

4 comments:

mully said...

wow, i am so proud of you! i do like the sound of the big mitten,
choke is a pretty dumb book, maybe you should just go to the movie. i think it is coming out soon.

Boomer said...

really? did you read it? i already ordered it from amazon, i'll have to at least start it.

mully said...

oh well, sex addicts who con people are entertaining on some levels.

Anonymous said...

hope you have a copy of Arukiyomi's 1001 books spreadsheet to track your progress with the list!

http://johnandsheena.co.uk/books