Thursday, February 1, 2007

Mike and I Were Almost Amish Yesterday

So we have a convertor box for the TEEvee and the DVD player, and one or more of the cats chewed through the adapter cord. Back in my day, replacing a jack just meant going to the store and buying a jack, however, because "techmology is very important in our world today," adaptors now come with a host of plug-in's and warnings about not reversing the polarities, or one will blow out the electricity for the entire tri-county area.

So Mike took the be-chewed adaptor to the Walls of Mart, and the electronics dude gave him forewarnings as mentioned above about the doom and destruction he would wreak upon the earth were we to buy the wrong adaptor.

Last night we ventured back to WalMart with the entire convertor box to make sure we did not flirt with the apocolypse. On the way, I wondered if we would get a clerk who would look at us askance and just be like, "Um, yeah, you just need this thing. It's $3.99 American dollars. You can take it to the counter and they'll ring it up for you."

My worry was that the initial dude just freaked us out and that buying the jack wasn't that big of a deal, and that by bringing in the entire convertor, Mike and I would look like we had just ridden our buggy three hours into town to ask the worldy ones if the spirits inside the little black box that bring the evil talking pictures into our home had perished.

"Is God punishing us for when Michael Patrick took up the saw that is fueled by the oil of Satan at Abraham's barn raising last fall?" we would beseech the freaked-out clerk. "Would the people inside the box return if we read enough scripture?"

"Does it make God angry that we look to the demon cube during His harsher winters when our fingers are too numb for cross-stitch or whittling toys for the kinder? We fear He will not heed our prayers; prithee, will you tell Him that we only gaze upon This Old House, and only after He cast away the Baywatch?"

Fortunately, we got a gearhead clerk who was excited to tell us about the features on our new adaptor and why we had chosen the perfect jack for our television-viewing needs. So last night I saw "The Jerk" for the first time. I know -- I'm the last American child of the 70's who hadn't seen it. I can't believe I lived a life without knowing the horrors of kitten juggling.

3 comments:

mully said...

i like to imagine you two as amish, all dressed up amish style(i bet you HAVE to wear socks when you are amish. except when you go to the beach, cause the other day i saw some amish people at the beach, and they were dipping their little amish toes in the surf...)

my favorite line from the jerk:
"the new phone books are here! the new phone books are here!"

superbigmuch said...

I know, we almost did look it! Mike was wearing his black peacoat and I happened to be wearing an ankle-length skirt and a winter scarf wrapped about my head because I had forgotten my hat!

superbigmuch said...

I forgot to add that one of my favorite lines was when he was addressing the Mexican priest and said, "Father, you strike me as a religious man..."