Friday, February 2, 2007

Temps dropping from cotton to wool socks

Last night I had dinner at Evelyn's with Merle's daughters and grandaughter. The younger daughter, Cristi?, was showing us her rather fancy MySpace page complete with slideshow. One of the pictures fading up through the star cut-out was that of everybody's favorite cousin. In this land of free association I wondered why he was wearing such a conservative blue shirt. I always think of Merle in those bright, verging on neon, striped western shirts. Then I thought of him as Parade Marshall at the Hermosa 4th of July Parade and remembered the shrine to the small engine with the flat-bed trailer carrying all those two-stroke engines merrily chugging away and then I tried to remember who threw better candy, the Republicans or the Democrats? or was it all the same?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you a Cylon?

mully said...

if he is weraing such conservative shirts, i am just not sure he is my favorite cousin anymore...

superbigmuch said...

Ah, thank you for stirring the memories of the small-motor float entry. I remember that, with each float, we would yell "We love Future Farmers of America!," or "We love Custer County 4-H!" to incite maximum candy tossage.

As for the Dems or Repubs and better candy, I believe our lust for sweets made us all a little bipartisan that day....