Sunday, February 4, 2007

Polyhedrons

Working in the Topeka school system I learned first hand in second grade that a person could make three dimensional shapes using simple sipping straws and twist ties.

I thought, wouldn't it be fun to make a triangular pyramid and a cube. Next I wanted to make a shape using a regular pentagon. THus was born the famous Lisa Simpson polyhedron -- the dodecahedron. Then I thought , what will I get with a regular hexagon. After much building I realized...nothing, it just makes a plane.

Here is a pic of some of the polyhedrons I made.

Now it was time to research polyhedrons on the web. I discovered there are only 5 regular convex polyhedra - the tetrahedron, hexahedron(cube), octahedron, dodecahedron, and icosahedron.

Next I learned about archimedian solids...they are made of multiple regular polygons, like squares combined with triangles.

No comments: